Tuesday 24 January 2017

A Cold Day's Roving on some new areas!

After that enjoyable session with Henry the other day, I was dying to get back out after some more chub. The river was carrying a nice tinge of colour and despite the bright sunlight which I was up against, similar to the other day, I knew I would have my chances. I wandered on a new bit of this particular stretch and the aim was to try and opportunistically drop in on a fish. After fishing over a dozen swims without a single tap, I started to get a few taps in one particular zone. After some delicate taps, the tip pulled round vigorously and the first chub of the day was on the bank. It was great to have managed a fish from a new swim and continued on with a spring in my step.
A nice start to the day, a good chub from a new swim!
The next swim looked absolutely fantastic for a bite with plenty of features for large chub to skulk about. I knew it would be a question of waiting for a fish to trip up and take my freebie. Just as I was thinking of moving, my rod tip suddenly smacked over and I connected with a good fish which charged straight towards some nasty debris. I used the power of my substantial feeder rod to try and stop this stubborn culprit from regaining its sanctuary. I cupped the spool and managed to guide the fish out of the snag before that dreaded feeling of the line going slack and merely your rig coming into to view. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement, as to me this felt like a very good chub indeed, with all the tell-tale thumps and surges for the cover that ensued. I can't complain though, as so far this year I have had a decent start and 'the one that got away' often is something that keeps one motivated in their quarry and a reminder of what can lurk. After having a wander, I found myself in another likely looking area with a nice run of water to explore with the link leger. After a few minutes, whilst I quickly rehydrated myself with a bottle of water, the rod tip started to nudge. I waited, and sure enough the rod pulled round, and another nice chub was in the net.
A nice lean chub from another new area!
I decided on the last few hours of the day to head to a more familiar haunt to see whether any of the residents were up for a opportunistic feed. After roving a few more swims, I arrived at a nice area which looked perfect for the odd chub to skulk about. I gingerly crept into the spot and lowered my breadflake into position and awaited a response. I crouched down, my eyes glued to the tip. Within minutes, the quivertip whacked over in an aggressive fashion and another good fish was on. I knew it was another good fish, as it was taking line with a lot more ease and staying a lot deeper. This time, I was praying that the hook-hold would stand proud and thankfully after a few surging runs, a good mouth broke the surface. I could see that this fish was easily the best of the day as it's build was on a different level to the other fish I had managed in the day.
One powerful and stunning 5 pounder!
I was really happy, as the scales swung to 5lbs on the nose, teetering towards the ounce. Having not managed many fish of this cracking stamp, I was absolutely made up, especially since the fish I had lost earlier was at least round this stamp, if not larger. Either way, the fish was in absolutely fantastic nick and a fish I'd be happy to catch from any river, large or small. I rotated a few more swims as the light faded and decided to sit on my hands and knees, in a swim I had visited earlier on in the day. I casted out as the light faded and waited. The isotope nodded a few times, before the quivertip pulled over. Another nice fish was on. This fish swam straight towards me and adapted different tactics to the others as it was clearly intent on snagging me in the near bank foliage. After absorbing the final charges for cover, another nice chub graced the surface.
A nice 4 pounder to finish the day
Although the fish I lost will stay on my mind, the day was an overall success. The conditions were far from straight forward with the river dropping by the hour and the sun's rays beaming on the surface layer of the water as it did so. I look forward to heading out again for a rove for this fantastic species!

Tight Lines,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...