Tuesday 19 January 2016

After College Grayling

Lovely section of River
With a frost on the ground and my gear on standby, I decided to head out to the local river after college. Choosing a different section to the one I fished with James on the Saturday, I had a few swims in mind where I was sure a few bites would be on the agenda. The first swim was a dead loss, especially when an otter topped just upstream of me... I walked upstream and knew of where the river narrowed and had a bit of pace. Very inviting to the likes of grayling and a nice crease on the far side where one would expect roach and patrolling perch on the prowl after minnows. After steadily trickling in some grains of corn, on my 5th or so run down, I hooked a good fish. Although it is always hard to tell how big grayling are when first hooked, I was disappointed when it bumped off. After bumping another on the next trot, a few more runs through and I managed to induce another take. I struck more positively this time and a nice grayling was on the end. After the typical fight from a grayling, twisting and turning in the current and gyrating, I slowly guided the stunning fish into the net. It was certainly a good pound at least. I gave the fish a good rest in the net, and carried on running through. It was not long until I managed another couple more stunners in that sort of stamp. I took a quick shot of the trio before a prompt release.
A fine trio of ladies - same setup doing the business...
Giving the time for less hardy fish like grayling to revive is something I have done in recent years and in a net with depth, allows the fish to properly revive and go back more resiliently. Some people release them without any form of revival, which can mean they go belly up and get disorientated - this does not do them any favours. I continued on running through and managed quite a few fish of the same sort of stamp with bites being, at points, very regular. Even though nothing larger came of the day, these fish certainly give great accounts of themselves. An out of season sea trout did turn up as well which did certainly give me a good run around on light tackle. All in all an enjoyable afternoon after college...

Tight Lines,

Tom
Pleased with this shot - two fine looking ladies of the stream going back...

4 comments:

  1. Just got round to fully reading this Tom, sounded a very nice trip and I must say that release shot is lovely, captured the colours perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thanks to your lens suggestion... Thanks for reading mate, look forward to coming back out. Sure you'd love this stretch, very nice glides along there.

      Delete
    2. It pays to have a good eye for composition and you have that.

      Delete
    3. Very kind of you to say so... One thing's for sure, you certainly have an eye for it in the shots you've captured...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...