Thursday 24 December 2015

A day out for the Grayling with James Denison

James and I arranged to meet down my way to see if we could get him onto one of the elusive larger grayling which are present on my local river. The current cycle isn't how it has been on some of the prolific years I've had, but the other day I did prick some better fish - James and I agreed that we had to be in it to win it.

We started on a idyllic little stretch where I have seen some very large grayling and perch in the past and we parked ourselves in a nice run with some depth and a nice crease on the far bank. James opted to fish a mix of maggots and caster and I on the other hand, chose some good old faithful sweetcorn to trot down the near bank of the swim. It was not long until James was landing some nice grayling gradually getting larger and I was starting to get onto a few myself. What I have found in cases is that on maggots you will get more bites, but in swims with smaller grayling this can be less selective.
Lovely looking grayling
I managed to get bites at a quicker pace after introducing grains of corn little and often and fishing midstream and on the near bank, which resulted in some lovely looking grayling and a few nuisance trout (which threw themselves readily at both our baits). We also managed to bounce a few better grayling, James bumping one certainly round the 2lb mark which was a shame. Not feeling disheartened by this we wandered off downstream and I hoped some other swims I knew would hopefully throw up something better for James.
Feisty little grayling!
There was a nice pool swim I have found to be prolific over the years and absolutely screams grayling of all sizes. James trotted through the swim a few times and managed a few bites bumping a couple of grayling, one of which was again of very good stamp, really hanging in the current. After a few more trots rotating baits, James had a well earned grayling of a pound or so. The next spot I showed James was where I bumped a good a good grayling on the Friday. After a few trots down James was managing some nice grayling including this beauty at 1-8.
James's best of the day...
All in all, it was a great day meeting James and tackling my local stretches, and at dusk we even managed to sneak in some trotting for roach. It was nice to see the shoals were still about with James managing some stunners to just over a pound at 1-3. Overall a very nice day and look forward to having you down again mate...

Tight Lines,

Tom
Nice way to finish the session...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...