Monday 11 July 2016

Search for some Wily Chub!

James giving one of a few likely looking swims a crack!
On a last minute and very kind invite from my friend James Denison, the plan was to head to the Dorset Stour to go and check out a few stretches to see if we could manage some of the fine chub the river is renowned for. After taking a glimpse at some very 'tasty' looking stretches, we settled on a stretch which was brimming with features and some classic chubby-looking lies. I opted to take an ambush approach, hoping to be able to creep up on some chub, and James opted to fish lighter on a much more active, roving method. On walking the first stretch, I realised with my more static method, in terms of targeting these chub that are very wily in the daytime, that I should have implemented my small stream roving into this certain situation.

I did, however, have some interesting enquiries on some of the swims on the first stretch, but unfortunately these enquiries were pretty much 'unhittable'. It was clear that James certainly had the right idea for fishing this tough waterway in the daytime, as he had soon managed two chub to 4lb 4oz and had managed to cover far more water. After James's second fish, I decided to try and be more proactive and through this, realised that this was the most effective way of locating the pockets of fish before planning an initial ambush - pretty basic I know, but having fished other parts of the Stour where the chub have been, at times easier to locate, I had on this occasion not kept my options open. On the next stretch, the wind really picked up, making trundling a bait rather challenging and was therefore forced into static fishing again having located the odd pocket of fish. James managed another couple of fish in quick succession in a nice glide once the wind had started to die down, up to 4lb 11oz.
One of a few '4s' James had during the day!
I decided after being unable to induce a bite from a small pocket of chub that I'd wait until the light dropped after some bait had gone into a certain slack swim from James and myself, I decided to give this swim a go as it got dark. As the light started to fade, I got a sudden bang on the tip before the rod started jolting violently. I struck and was finally into my first chub. After several dashes for the reeds in close, I finally managed to guide the chevin into the net. For the Stour's standards it was no massive chub, but I was more than happy to have landed this beautiful fish on such a hard and testing day.
Aren't summer chub stunning? (3-10)
As the light levels dropped further, I had various other enquiries, but there was no 'hittable' bites to be had for me for the rest of the trip. James, having settled just below me within minutes had his centrepin absolutely tearing line and connecting with an unknown source as it absolutely mowed into the snag and parted his hooklink cleanly. As one can imagine, James was very disappointed, but he kept his head high and casted straight back into the same position. Just before we were due to pack up, James had another bite and landed an absolute corking chub of 5lb 11oz.
A great way to end the trip, much deserved for James's efforts (5-11)
It was a very enjoyable session and I felt I certainly had learnt a lot. Thanks goes to James for the invite, and being great company throughout the day.

Tight Lines,

Tom Aldous

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...