Sunday 2 August 2015

Remedy for Mullet Madness

Mullet have always been fish I have had a fascination for, due to the way they can be seen in various numbers cruising around harbours, mariners, jetties, estuaries, creeks, as well as near piers and even though I’ve had times where I could see many, I have never been able to tempt any. I only recently learnt that there are two types of common grey mullet in the UK, the thick-lipped and thin-lipped variety. I had only tried so far for the thick-lipped variety that can be tempted with bread and various baits presented on the bottom, which they can scavenge on. The thin-lipped variety however are less interested in the bread and prefer spinners tipped with a harbour ragworm on the end to follow and grab. No one seems to know why this turns them onto feeding, but when you have the right scenario or window of opportunity, it can be the most effective way of catching vast quantities of grey mullet.

Knowing I hadn’t caught one, my friend Paul Greenacre, who has recently discovered how to catch the thin-lipped variety of mullet consistently, very kindly invited me over to a local estuary of his, to fish in the harbour on kayaks (Paul kindly let me use one for the session). I took the train on a grey day down South to meet Paul at a nearby station. The journey was quick and it wasn’t long until I was in the car with Paul heading to the tackle shop. After quickly getting some supplies including ragworms and Aberdeen hooks to present them on we were underway on the final leg of the journey to the harbour. We arrived on a quiet public slipway to launch on the estuary and after learning the special rig for these mullet; we were soon out in the harbour paddling away on the kayaks.
A fair few boats in the Harbour!
As we started making our way towards a fair few boats parked in the harbour, we saw plentiful swirls: “look at all those mullet” said Paul excitedly. Shaking with excitement myself after getting organised into a good area to start casting around with the spinner and rag, I flicked in for the first time of the day. The blade of the spinner was working beautifully through the water and on Paul’s advice of a slow retrieve I felt very helpful indeed. Just as I was about to lift for a recast I felt a thud and I was briefly into a mullet but unfortunately I didn’t set the hook right. “That was instant” I exclaimed to Paul as he grinned and told me to thread the ragworm up the line slightly to expose more hookpoint to set the hook better. Exactly the same point on the second cast I had another take and was yet again battling a mullet briefly but this time, the headshake of the fish threw the hooks. Amazed by this instant action I quietly pledged to myself that I would set the hook on the next take once and for all. Paul was just beside me and although he had not had a take as of yet, he had interest with mullet following his lure presentation but swirling away last second as he would lift the worm out of the water. I had another flick in and earlier in the retrieve this time I had a nice snatch and was into a mullet. Although it topped quickly, it suddenly woke up and having my drag already set was certainly the correct move as it went off with pure agility and unbelievable acceleration down deep giving a great account for itself. I was on a light mainline so could not afford to give the fish too much stick and after going on a lot of runs and trying to snag me on a nearby rope several times I managed to guide the mullet into the net. This wasn’t a very big fish maybe topping just over a pound or so in weight, but I was so happy to have caught my first mullet and was profoundly thanking Paul as we revived it. We took this quick shot and it was brilliant to see the fish gain back its energy quickly and go back to the depths with a “whoosh”.
First ever Mullet!
As I threaded a new ragworm onto the hook, Paul was now in to a mullet of a similar sort of size and even though he was on a more sensible heavier setup and could give the fish more stick it still stripped line and gave a very nice bend in the rod indeed. Paul efficiently netted the fish after being towed slightly on his kayak and after a good revival for the fish we took another quick shot.
Paul's first of the day
It wasn’t long until Paul was into another fish and this time it was a slightly better fish, which certainly would not give up and during the fight, I meanwhile managed to catch a single little school bass in the channel behind. After what seemed like an arm-aching fight for Paul he was displaying triumphantly another nice mullet for the camera.
Paul's second!
After this, the fish either backed off or learnt to ignore our lures for the time being. We moved out of the estuary to a bit of more open water in a pool, which Paul referred to as “Mullet ally” and for the record Paul has managed large sea trout from this area on his spinning outfits in the past year in the kayak. After paddling about, chatting to Paul and avoiding boats, I eventually had a hit on the drift near a boat parked in the mariner. This was a fish which felt better as it didn’t show instantly and it was a question of keeping in good contact with it in the open water by cupping the spool whilst it stripped line and catching up with it efficiently. Paul drifted over just behind me and saw the fish pop up, “that’s a better fish Tom” he said excitedly as he assembled his net ready as I continued to battle the fish really running me around and shaking its head. After what felt like a long battle the mullet’s head popped up and I calmly guided it into Paul’s waiting net and as we revived it I couldn’t get over how thickset it was, like a chub! “This could go over 3 Paul”, I exclaimed excitedly. Paul handed me a nice weighing bag, which I quickly wet, and we put the fish on the scales. The fish went 4lb 1oz, which to me was a fantastic bonus as I was already happy with what I had caught, and a good personal best thin-lipped mullet. We took a few quick shots and it was yet again good to see the mullet swim off resiliently.
Personal Best Thin Lipped Mullet
We drifted around on the tide for another few hours managing a few more turbo-charged mullet in the pool, we noticed time was getting on and I needed to get a train at 5.37pm, that it was time to gradually make our way back to the slipway. On our way back, we both noticed a few swirls from some mullet near where we had started and with some time left we spread out and presented our spinner and rag cocktail towards a channel between some boats – this was awkward with the tide and therefore was difficult to stay in one good position. It wasn’t long until I noticed Paul was hitting some good mullet with him having two in quick succession. At the worst timing possible one of my reels had gotten into a ‘bird nest’, but with a few mullet I saw swirling about I took my rod which was meant for if I saw any thick lipped mullet and put and tied on my spinner and rag rig for a chance of another thin lipped mullet. It was not long until I felt a thud and although I only saw a small mullet top at first, this fish was certainly determined and absolutely ripped off with my 6lb line and started to tow the kayak in awkward areas; having to paddle away from boats and play this fish on a carp waggler rod, you can imagine the challenge involved here! After being town around a bit longer on the harbour, struggling to keep control of the fish and kayak simultaneously, I managed to eventually guide another nice mullet into the net. This fish was no more than 2lbs but was absolutely spotless and just as I was about to release it, Paul smiled over to me and said how nice this was to end the session on. I agreed and I thought much as we’d both love to carry on that all good things come to an end and we had promised our families that we’d be back for a certain time.

Paul kindly drove me back to the station and we were both grateful that the weather had turned just as we’d gotten back in the car. After saying my thanks I headed back for Winchester. It was a very enjoyable day on the kayaks and thanks goes to Paul for lending one of his kayaks, showing me one of his local spots and for putting me on some fine thin-lipped mullet sport. For those who watch my YouTube Channel and have not seen Paul’s films, why not check them out here.

Tight Lines,


Tom

2 comments:

  1. A great mullet day on the kayaks Tom, thank you for joining me and being such wonderful company ! Looking forward to the next kayak trip in search of sea trout, mullet and big bass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for taking me out Paul, a very enjoyable session! Look forward to our next session!
      Tom

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...